Swim and Survive Active ProgramA swimming and water safety program for school aged children between the ages of 5-14 years.
Active is the Swimming and Water Safety component of the Swim and Survive program, and is designed for children aged 5 - 14 years. This component of Swim and Survive has been around for over 30 years, with almost 15 million Australians gaining a Swim and Survive award since its inception.
Active is used to emphasise that the skills learnt in the program not only save lives, but provide a foundation for participation in a range of aquatic recreation, fitness and sporting activities.
Swim and Survive Active is a broad and balanced program teaching a range of skills and knowledge to develop swimming, water safety, survival and basic rescue skills. With a vibrant look, and an increased focus on stroke development, Active encourages children to have a healthy respect for the aquatic environment.
Active has 3 developing awards and 7 core awards to progress through. The initial awards focus on development of foundation skills with the higher awards building on endurance.
Swim and Survive Active is a swimming and personal aquatic survival program that is aligned to the National Swimming and Water Safety Framework and develops skills across the following areas:
- Entries and Exits Skills teach children to determine the safest entry and exit method for a range of aquatic environments.
- Floating and Sculling Skills enable children to gain mobility in the aquatic environment and are vital skills for developing swimming and survival skills.
- Movement and Swimming Strokes develops efficient and effective stroke technique and the ability to adapt the strokes to suit the conditions of the environment. Fitness and endurance increases through the progression of levels.
- Survival and PFD Skills includes the teaching of survival techniques and strategies for a range of emergency situations, including the use of personal flotation devices.
- Underwater Skills assist in building vital confidence in the water. Relaxation and good breath control are developed to increase swimming endurance.
- Rescue Skills equip children with the required skills to perform a range of rescues depending on the emergency situation, the environment and prevailing conditions.
- Water Safety Knowledge develops an understanding of a range of swimming and water safety issues that underpins safety in and around the water.