Swim and Survive Courage ProgramA program that builds water confidence for preschool aged children between the ages of 3-5 years.
Courage is the water confidence component of the Swim and Survive program, and is designed for children aged 3 to 5 years.
Swim and Survive Courage program guides children through fun and safe activities, gradually building upon their breathing, floating and movement skills; supporting and encouraging independence. The Courage program progresses from initial parental participation to children developing trust and learning through interacting independently with the instructor.
Courage has 5 awards for children to progress through as they build confidence and develop new skills.
Courage is a child focused program that seeks to build water confidence and develop skills across the following strands:
- Entry and Exit Skills teach children to safely and confidently enter and exit the water using a range of basic techniques.
- Breathing and Underwater Skills develop breath control and relaxation when submerging the face and body in the water, which in turn builds confidence.
- Survival Skills include initial experiences using flotation aids for support in deep water whilst demonstrating personal survival and self preservation skills required for an emergency situation.
- Floating and Sculling Skills encourage independent floating on the front and back and basic sculling skills to propel the body in a range of directions.
- Movement and Swimming Strokes encourage the development of kicking and arm movement skills, basic independent mobility and working towards elementary swimming strokes.
- Water Safety Education focuses on the simple messages of never swimming alone, calling for help if in trouble and understanding basic pool rules to support water safety.